Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

My name is lucas ong,19,from singapore,i was wondering if i

Customer Question

hi my name is ***** ***** ong,19,from singapore,i was wondering if i can sue for libel/defamation/slander against my friend's parent,she implied that i was a pedophile and would "report" me for harrasment of my friend even though my friend is still willing to talk to me,she did it through text messaging
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no i have not
JA: Please tell me your email address, in case we get disconnected.
Customer:***@******.***
JA: Thanks. Are you ready to speak with the Lawyer now?
Customer: alright sure
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 9 months ago.

I am really sorry to hear this. While I think those accusations are rude and unacceptable they probably do not constitute grounds for a legal claim of defamation. First, there has to be a public dissemination of the information. Text messages would not be a public disbursal of the false information. Second, you have to prove some damages i.e. you lost a job or got arrested as a result of the statements. I understand your concern. YOu could file for a restraining order against this person to cut off them from contacting you or making statements about you in the future.