Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

My Father was diagnosed with COPD in 2003. In April 2011,

Customer Question

My Father was diagnosed with COPD in 2003. In April 2011, before a hernia surgery, he had an xray and biopsy done on his chest. They found Asbestos poisoning. He died of cancer in June of 2011. I filed a mesothelioma claim with a lawyer. The case was recently settled out of court and we will get a small settlement. Medicare is now asking for reimbursement for a percentage of what they spent on him which is $6000.00. My dad was a Vet and mostly used the VA. Medicare did pay for some hospice care for him but they are charging me for appointments he had for hospital visits and doctors visits from 2003-2010.
My question is since he was diagnosed in 2011 with asbestos poisoning how can medicare charge for appointments with doctors prior to the diagnoses. I am willing to pay back what is owed to them but I don't understand how we are responsible for charges made before the asbestos was discovered. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 9 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. You mention a medicare charge...are you referring to medicade?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I called medicare yesterday and got the answer to my questionThank you for your timeScott

I wish you the best sir