Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I am wondering: I have pages of extremely strong

Customer Question

Hi there ... I am wondering: I have pages of extremely strong circumstantial evidence that a very well-known and highly-regarded 501c3 non-profit is engaging in suspicious activity and lying to/misleading the public. Thing is ... their past three 990's are online, yet one of the co-founders and top board members has repeatedly and angrily refused to give to me directly their financial info, and I have pages and pages of him typing in manic fashion; attempts to switch subjects, a bunch of typos, etc.
Is there anything that can be done? I live in Mountain View, California, and am a college student on SSI, so sadly cannot afford much.
People who are aware of the wrongdoing are very understandably fearful of coming forward, as this organization is so well-known and so well-loved and respected.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

What do you want to achieve?

I am going to be offline for a little while but will pick up and continue when I return.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Fair enough. :)
I do have an extremely strong sense of wrongdoing. I even got a message on Facebook recently, by a guy who understandably wanted to remain anonymous, thanking me for my "bravery," and greatly encouraging me not to ever give up.
Ultimately, at least for now, I would love for their 501c3 status to be stripped, and for two annual benefit events in October to be canceled.
Want me to send to you my many pages of supporting documents? :)
As I wrote, I have pages of extremely strong circumstantial evidence that a very well-known and highly-regarded 501c3 non-profit is engaging in suspicious activity and lying to/misleading the public. Thing is ... their past three 990's are online, yet one of the co-founders and top board members has repeatedly and angrily refused to give to me directly their financial info, and I have pages and pages of him typing in manic fashion; attempts to switch subjects, a bunch of typos, etc.
TTY soon.

No, no need to see the documents.

If you have reported the matter to the Attorney General of the state where they do business and to the IRS then the only other step you might be able to take would be to report them to the FBI but I've never heard of them being involved in something like this.

You could also consider reporting them to the Secretary of State for their state since that is the agency which handles the corporations although generally they just handle the documents and don't do any investigations, etc.

The final option to consider is to send a letter to each of the members of their board and cc: any contributors that you're aware of.

Of course, you could bring some type of lawsuit yourself but realistically it would be expensive with no guarantee you would recover your attorney's fees and for a person on a limited budget that isn't a real option.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
basically then I'm out of luck?There must be a way to launch investigations and expose charities who don't report everything and/or lie on their financials. I mean, this is a very real issue which is hurting very real people, and I know this for a fact.

The only way to do it, other than a private lawsuit, is through law enforcement and generally that is going to be your state's Attorney General. You can report it to the local police but they generally won't take these kinds of cases, they just turn it over to the AG.