Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

What to do if a police officer get you to sign something

Customer Question

What to do if a police officer get you to sign something when you're not in the right state of mind
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 9 months ago.

What is it that you signed? Were you arrested or charged with a crime because of what you signed? Please respond here o this question thread.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Well my bother in-law got arrested he was in a car wreck and they said that he denied medical attention and that he signed some type of paper work
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I was wondering was there a statue that he can file because he doesn't remember the wreck or signing that paper and he is locked up
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for the reply and sorry for the delay.

I don't know what the paperwork said, but if it affects his case, he would be able to challenge whatever it is he signed on the basis that he did not have the ability at the time to understand what he was signing or make a knowing and voluntary waiver of his rights. For example, if the papers he signed involved admissions about the incident brought on by improper questioning by the police, his lawyer would be able to get a pre-trial hearing to keep those admissions or confession from being used against him at trial.

If your brother-in-law has been arrested and is still incarcerated, he will probably have a free lawyer appointed to him who could file the motion at the appropriate time. If he needs medical attention, and that's what your question is about, the judge can order that he be treated.