CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

If someone in an emergency asks you to do something because

Customer Question

if someone in an emergency asks you to do something because of your expertise, and in passing they say: "What could we do for you in exchange ? " and you answer, "Nothing, I am fine, I am just glad I can help. And so you do what you were asked to do in an emergency situation, and it turns out that the "help" involved more work than you thought. 1.Can you go back and ask for some compensation?
2. What would have happened if after agreeing to help out you did not show up to complete that job? Are you liable since no money was involved?
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 9 months ago.

Dear Customer,

If you perform work, provide services, or give property/goods to someone and reject their offer for compensation, it is deemed a "gift" and you cannot later demand compensation for these services.

If you are providing services as a "gift" you cannot be compelled to continue doing so. (There are certain limitations on this - for example, if you are an attorney and offering legal services, you are bound by the code of professional conduct to continue providing services (even if you are not receiving compensation), there may be other circumstances where services would be required to be rendered in order to preserve life or property if you have already offered to do so, but these would be very limited).