LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

I signed an agreement during my divorce in California to pay

Customer Question

I signed an agreement during my divorce in California to pay my ex-wife $8300. The agreement was signed in March 21, 2008. I never made one payment. The agreement was made under California Section 664.6. Is this agreement still enforceable? It has been almost 8 years. Is there a statute of limitations on this agreement?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 12 months ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I have been a CA licensed attorney for more than 30 years.

The agreement you entered into during the divorce process---presuming that it was incorporated into the divorce decree or the Marital Settlement Agreement----it will remain enforceable for as long as each of you are alive---even 8 years after the fact and despite the fact that not a single payment has been made.

A statute of limitations does not apply under CA law to any aspect of the distribution of assets and property in a divorce case that is ordered by the court as part of the finalization of the divorce process and the entry of the decree.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug