Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Losing my mind! Received a toll violation bill + on $15.00

Customer Question

Losing my mind! Received a toll violation bill for 1100+ on $15.00 in unpaid tolls from almost 3 years ago. Since the first toll fine was issued, I have paid every notice they have sent me.. all in all almost 500$. These just showed up out of nowhere, at a collection office. with threats of wage garnishment, license suspencion and such. Again $15.00 in total violations over a 3 year period. Worse of all , the plates were in my husbands name on this one car that I drove, not even his issue. How can the fines be so much and am I stuck with these fees ?
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no. didnt know I could. I was just googling what some options were and this page pulled up. Called the toll authority and because they sent it to collection I guess it is out of their hands now.
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: Not really. I just pulled up how many fines and fees I paid from 2013 and I cant match up their violation numbers to the ones I paid . All I know is that on this bill this lawyers office sent there is a total of $15.00 in actual tolls that were not paid and the rest is fees.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 9 months ago.

You need request for validation of debt from the collections agency to see what the collection agency has in its records before entering into any kind of negotiation with regard to this debt. You need to make sure that you are not being charged for the fines that have already been paid. Click on the link below for sample validation/dispute letters:

http://www.debt-n-credit-letters.com/Debt-Dispute/debt-dispute-letter-1.html