Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

Is it possible seal or expunge a civil court judgment? A

Customer Question

Is it possible seal or expunge a civil court judgment? A credit check recently revealed that an ex-boyfriend allowed my name to remain on an apartment lease for 16 years after I moved out. And then he was sued twice for unpaid rent in 2007 and 2010. Now my name is ***** ***** in public records searches. I have documentation that would help prove I didn't live there after 1995. What are my options to correct the public record?
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Is it possible seal or expunge a civil court judgment?

.

Unfortunately no, only criminal cases can potentially be expunged depending on state laws. A civil case is part of a different public record and civil entries stay on a person's civil record indefinitely.

.

But you can dispute the entry with the 3 credit agencies by filing a formal dispute and sending in your proof that you weren't living there at the time and then they will contact the creditor and ask for proof to validate the debt. If they can't do so, then the agencies must delete that info within 30 days.

.

.

thanks