Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience
77476456

When I was in nursing school I rented my home. My property

Customer Question

When I was in nursing school I rented my home. My property manager and my tenants used my home as an "illegal grow-op" destroying the property and rendering it useless. At the same time someone stole my identity; leaving me w/ 0.23 cents to my name. Law enforcement looked the other way. I lost my home, and my land.
I sold everything I owned (clothes, furniture, jewelry) to pay for legal counsel/fees and life. I have been one step away from homelessness ever since. I have no more resources left. How does one recover from that? Is bankruptcy the best option? Thank you for your time.
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

I am so sorry that you have been having these difficulties. It certainly sounds like you are a candidate for a Chapter 7 bankruptcy. When your debts outstrip your assets and your ability to keep up a clean start is often warranted.

The advantages of Chapter 7 include the fact that it is quick. Usually the entire process take three to six months.

Once the process is complete you will be debt-free. There are some debts that are not normally dischargeable such as mortgages, car payments, certain recent taxes, and unpaid child support. Student loan debt is generally not dischargeable, BUT can be if you can prove hardship. All other debts (such as credit card debt, private loans, and other debt obligations are wiped out.

Once you are free of the debt you can start saving to rebuild your life rather than continuing to swim in the debt.

The bankruptcy stays on your credit report for seven years. After that your credit should recover.

Without knowing specifics about your debts and assets it is difficult to say what is the best course of action for you. That is a decision only you can make.

These resources are a good place to get started in determining whether filing Chapter 7 is good for you and will provide information on the process to get started:

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/filing-bankruptcy-alaska.html

http://www.bankruptcy.com/state-specific-bankruptcy-laws/alaska-bankruptcy-lawyers/filing-chapter-7-alaska/

https://www.legalconsumer.com/bankruptcy/forms/

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.