Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I'm 72 years of age and I moved to Florida in October, 2015

Customer Question

I'm 72 years of age and I moved to Florida in October, 2015 and after the fact was talked into using #1 Van Lines, Inc. at***** #403, Miami, Florida. They quoted me $900.00 to move my few things to Bradenton, Fl. which I agreed to, they arrived two days late, was allowed 200 cubic feet, they loaded the truck, said I was over by 60 plus cubic feet and had to charge $6. plus for each additional cubic foot? I didn't have that much, include Queen size bed complete, Pub table with 4 chairs, medium size desk with small desk chair, large painting, left to me by my wife (value $1,500.) and a recliner, and five boxes. Well to this day I have told them, I have no additional monies to pay which, due to living on Social Security, I paid the $900. when furniture was picked up. Tuesday I received a certified latter saying they were going to sale said things to cover $300. storage fees, I had stated I would pay monthly payments, they just keep dragging it out, on top of the letter stated, I had 30 days to comply from date of letter, which is January 22, 2016.The letter was mailed to were I moved from in Massachusetts and now here it is February 18th, 2016? After I arrived in Florida I looked them up and according to facts, they are very bad! My e-mail service even warned me that they didn't like even putting them in my junk mail, they were so bad! I move here to be closer to my Twin daughters and Gran children! I have been borrowing money from Amscot every month just to live! What can I do? Thank you!
Clement Yandow
2947 River Trace Circle
Bradenton, Florida 34208
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 9 months ago.

I am so sorry to read about this. I can relate. I have had problems with movers...

You need to proceed with your complaint to Florida Attorney General's Office.

http://www.myfloridalegal.com/pages.nsf/Main/E3EB45228E9229DD85257B05006E32EC

You also need to file complaint against them with the Better Business Bureau.

http://www.bbb.org

Finally, you may try to see if you can get free legal help to send them a letter to return your things to you without further delay because you have paid them what you legitimately owed them. Click on the link below for free legal services:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=florida%20free%20legal%20services

Best wishes,

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Answer was excellent, but you can not charge my account for balance due you until 3/3/16 when I receive my S.S.

Hello: Thank you for your generous statement.

I do not handle the billing on the site. I just answer questions for the site. If you want the site to withhold charging your account, you need to relate that information to the site's customer service department.

Also, I have not been paid for answering your question. I only get paid when you give a positive rating to my post. So, since you do not have the funds yet, you can come back to this thread on 3/3/16 to give my response a positive rating so that I can be paid for responding to your post.

Have a wonderful day!