Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

My husband bought a used car off Toyota Feb13. 2016. The

Customer Question

my husband bought a used car off Toyota Feb13. 2016. The used car has obviously had the bumper cover replaced (looks like it was rear ended) but does not list it in car facts. theres a valve cover leak, the battery post was loose, the fog light was unplugged. he did sign an "as is" but was not told about the accident or anything else. todays date is Feb 17 and he wants to return the truck and get his money back. He feels a victim of fraud. is that the case or can he do something else about it? They had given him a 650 per month verbal agreement on a new one the date he got the used. He went in trying to get that new one instead and they told him he now has to pay 750 a month if he wants that one because they cant refund him his down payment and can only "trade it in"...is there anything he can do? we live in texas. i can send the contract and pay for it to be analyzed aswell.
Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

Did he have the car inspected by his own mechanic?

Was the verbal agreement for $650 ever made in writing?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
he is a service manager at Pepboys and raised it up in the air to look at it and got the tire pluged.
all on camara there.
no written agreement
Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

Your husband can file a consumer complaint with the Texas Attorney General's Office. Sometimes a call from the AG will sometimes motivate a car dealer to provide better customer service rather than risk action against their license.

Unfortunately, when you purchase a car as-is you are basically letting the seller off the hook for any maintenance problems which may exist at the time of the sale or may develop shortly after. Assuming the seller has not fraudulently switched out equipment or rolled back the odometer, they have no liability to you for any problems with the vehicle once you drive it off the lot.

Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not necessarily a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok
Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?