Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

City of Denver CO.My hoa has left on a lien that was wiped

Customer Question

City of Denver CO.My hoa has left on a lien that was wiped out by a statement of account request. I just received a closing statement from the title co who is handling the sale for the buyer & they advised there is still a lien for $5200 & they are requesting a satisfaction of lien for the sale to go through. What can I do. Then lien was illegal HB 1276 & the affidavit used was 99% lies. Trying to close on 2/25/16. Should I file complaints with DORA or try suing for theft by fraud?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You need to send written notice to the HOA first giving them the chance to remove the lien by giving you a satisfaction of lien letter. Give them 14 days to do so and tell them if they refuse to remove the invalid lien as required, you will sue for all damages including attorney's fees.
Under CO law, if someone leaves an invalid lien in place, they are liable to you for all damages caused by that lien and all costs you incur in removing the invalid lien by having to file in court, including your attorney's fees. So if they will not remove it you file a petition to remove lien and seek your damages from them.