Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I handled a class action lawsuit. Another case is being

Customer Question

I handled a class action lawsuit. Another case is being tried against one of the defendants from the case I worked on. I have been served with a subpoena to provide the names, addresses and claim forms of anyone that filed a claim form. My concern are privacy issues. Do I need to provide this information?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you an attorney, whereas this would breach your attorney client privilege unless the information is also part of the public record in the class action suit. If the information is part of the class action public record, then you can object based on it being overly burdensome and available in the court records. If the information is not part of the class action record, then under attorney client privilege you do not have to provide it and you need to file an objection based on privilege. If you are not an attorney, then you have to rely on the burdensome nature of the request if it is available in the court case public records, as you do not have a privilege to assert in response to a legal subpoena. If you had a confidentiality agreement with the parties who submitted claims to you, then you can object based only on the basis of the confidentiality agreement and try to get the court to deem that this disclosure is not necessary and information can be found from other sources.