LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

My landlord is trying to sell us the house we are living in

Customer Question

My landlord is trying to sell us the house we are living in on a land contract. My fiance signed the contract but I did not and it is written up in both of our names. Is this a legal document that we are now committed to?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

Good afternoon Kylee,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Your fiancee obligated themselves to the contract by signing it. However, you have no legal obligation as you did not sign it. The fact that two names were on the contract and only one of you signed it does not allow for the one of you who did sign the contract to now back out of the contract. The seller can enforce the contract against anyone who signs the agreement.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug