KJL LAW
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
92128996

I read state ignition interlock laws NC 20-17.8(a), () and

Customer Question

I read state ignition interlock laws NC 20-17.8(a), (b) and (c) 20-179.3(g3) and (g5) and 20-17.8 (c) that interlock is required IF BAL IS GREATER THAN 16 or if second dui within 7 years. Has this changed from previous law where interlock was required if bal is .15. Also, exemption being financial hardship
Id really appreciate an answer.
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site, the answers are for general information. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

North Carolina laws §§20-17.8(a), (b) and (c), §20-179.3(g3) (g5), and §20-17.8(c) govern restricted driving privileges and ignition interlock devices. Currently, this requirement is mandatory if the BAC was greater than 0.15, but this section of the law is only effective until December 1, 2016. So unless the legislature changes the law it will revert back to the 0.16. Also if the person is a second or subsequent offender (within 7 years).

After license restoration, required ignition interlock usage is as follows: 1 year if license revocation was for 1 year; 3 years if license revocation was for 4 years; and 7 years if the license was permanently revoked but can be restored.

Keep in mind there is also a criminal component to the law where if a person is caught tampering or attempting to circumvent the interlock system, they can be charged with a Class 1 misdemeanor.

I hope this helps with your question.