Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Who should manage the social security a/c of my disabled son?

Customer Question

My disabled 18 year old son lives with me, my mom is his payee. Does he have to live with her for his money to be used for his expenses? We went to the bank back in September and the lady at the bank said it was a good idea to put us both on the same account so I would have access to his money for him?
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 11 months ago.

The "lady at the bank" gave you wrong information. Your mother as the Representative Payee is the only one who is supposed to be on the account because your mother is solely responsible for the account and must account to the Social Security Administration how the money is being used.

No, he does not have to live with your mother in order for his benefit payments to be used for his expenses. For duties of a Representative Payee, click on the link below:

https://www.ssa.gov/payee/#&sb=0