Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I have a brief to a motion due Tuesday in federal court. I

Customer Question

I have a brief to a motion due Tuesday in federal court. I have Affidavits to support my case. How do I introduce them to the court?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Affidavits in court are considered hearsay unless the people who signed the affidavits are there to testify in person. Affidavits may be attached to a motion/brief as supporting documents/attachments to your pleading. But when it comes to a court hearing, you have to actually have them appear and call them to the stand to testify, then show them the affidavits and ask them if they wrote and signed them and once they admit to it, then you tell the court you want to admit the affidavit into evidence. Then you can continue questioning on the stand and then the other party gets to question them.