Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I own and air condition company in Florida it requires a

Customer Question

I own and air condition company in Florida it requires a state license, which I have. Recently I laid off the office assistant be we are not doing as well in the winter as it's our off season. I let her work one more week in order for her to receive one more paycheck. On her last day I left the office early she works from 8-4pm. She left at 2:00 no one approved her to leave at 2 but a week later I found out she purchased an air conditioner at a local parts house and picked it up that day also paid for it with her visa and signed for it. But I had no knowledge of it also all traces of the emails have been deleted. I do however have the signed pick up slip with her signature. Is there anything I can do? She used my license and account to purchase this unit.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you did not authorize her to make the purchase under your license, did this purchase hurt your company or cost you any financial damage?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you.
No it did not cause any financial damage. I'm just so sick and tired of employees stealing from me and that's what it is. You cannot purchase an AC unit without having a state license and it takes a lot of money and time to keep this license. She shouldn't be able to do this.
Thank you for your reply.
I understand that she should not have used the license, but she technically did not steal from you if she paid for this with her own visa card and you are not out any money. Yes, she used your license, but if she did not, there is no guarantee she would have purchased a unit from you, she could have gone to a competitor. Legally she used your license without your consent, but there is no civil suit you can file for that because your company did not suffer any financial damage and one element of any lawsuit is proof of damages and without any damages the court cannot grant relief.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you. If she has some unlicensed guy install it. Im held liable be it was purchased under my license.
Thank you for your reply.
No, if she has someone else install it, you are not liable and if they try to hold you liable, then you would have cause to sue her for the damage, because then you would have damages at that point.