Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience
77476456

I have filed my tax return 11 days ago, it was accepted 2

Customer Question

I have filed my tax return 11 days ago, it was accepted 2 hours later, however it is still not approved, i am still on stage one of processing on the wheres my refund page.
How long will it take for my tax return to be in the accepted stage?
Thanks
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

Earlier this month the IRS had significant technical problems with the ellectronic filing and had to shut it down for a period of time. It is back up and running, but the problems have caused significant delays in the processing of the returns. Unfortunately the IRS has not announced when they expect to be caught up. If you have verification that the return was received, you are OKAY, but have to continue to be patient. I wish I could give you a specific time frame.

Calling the IRS has not been helpful in getting a response to similar questions.

Here are the reports regarding the shut down and restart of the e-filing:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/02/04/irs-computer-problems-shut-down-tax-return-e-file-system.html

https://www.irs.gov/Tax-Professionals/e-File-Providers-&-Partners/Modernized-e-File-MeF-Status-Page

I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

I hope the information I have provided is useful to you and that I have earned a positive rating from you. It costs you nothing extra, and is the only way I get credit for my attempt to assist you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck,

Please note: Information given is not legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On the wheres my return section it says refunds are usually sent out within 21 says of filing, however my question is how long does it take for a return to be moved to the APPROVED section (not to be paid out, just for approval)
Thanks!

Yes that is correct. In fact this is what the IRS says about processing times:

"Calling us will not speed up your refund. Our phone and walk-in representatives can only research the status of your refund if it has been 21 days or more since you filed electronically, more than 6 weeks since you mailed your paper return, or Where’s My Refund? directs you to contact us. If we need more information to process your tax return, we will contact you by mail. Otherwise Where’s My Refund? has the most up to date information available about your refund. Use the IRS2Go mobile app or use the Where’s My Refund? tool. Both are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week."

I have had some dealings with this. They won't say what the internal processing times are.

Good luck,

Kind regards,

Gerald

Please do not forget to rate me - click the five stars. It adds nothing to your costs, but it helps me greatly. Plus it is good Karma for you. Thank you.

I'm sorry there just is no answer from them on the question you are asking.