Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

WHAT ARE THE IMPLICATIONS IF i DO NOT PAY CHILD SUPPORT TO

Customer Question

WHAT ARE THE IMPLICATIONS IF i DO NOT PAY CHILD SUPPORT TO MY DAUGHTAR WHO IS 18 AND IS CANADIAN CITIZEN AND I HAVE DUAL CITIZENSHIP (USA AND CANADIAN)
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The US can revoke your US Passport, Canada has a similar provision. So this would mean you could end up stuck in the US and Canada and cannot travel outside of the US or Canada. Your driver's license can also be suspended. Also, Canada and the US have a child support treaty, meaning that each country can pursue you to satisfy the judgment through garnishment, seizure of property and bank accounts. The US and Canada consider paying child support obligations to be serious matters and as such they have made it so they can enforce these obligations across borders.