LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

Im in tx I recently was pulled over and was unaware my

Customer Question

im in tx I recently was pulled over and was unaware my liability insurance did not renew I went to pay the fines and the JP said $824 for 2nd offense I was bewilder and remembered the first time but it was back in ***** ***** of 2005 is there not a limitation on this?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: ok my insurance was suppose to renew automatically through my credit card it was due dec12 2015 I was pulled over for speeding on ***** ***** 24 2016 which is when i also received a no insurance ticket i called my insurance company and they claimed i was not set up for auto pay yet it had been taken out for the past three years without me doing nothing
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 9 months ago.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. The court can and will go back and look at your record. Even though this happened over 10 years ago, it is still a second offense and as a result, the JP can impose a higher fine, then for a first time offender. The statute of limitations is the time in which the State has to charge someone. This is not a situation whereby they would consider it a first offense, even though so much time has passed, since it is the second time it happened. The gap in time is a mitigating factor for the court to consider, since a higher fine could have been imposed but it is still treated as a second offense.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.