Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I rented a car and had made sure to obtain the insurance

Customer Question

Hello.
I rented a car and had made sure to obtain the insurance that was offered.
The car had been stolen and the person who stole it, made threats to me and my family.
The car has since been recovered but of course there has been over $3000.oo in damages.
I never made contact to the rental store so now they have made a claim through my current insurance provider.
Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening? Is it too late?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If the car was stolen, your contract with the insurer required you to make a report immediately. If you never made the report, even though you are now claiming the person threatened you (it is pretty rare that a car thief unknown to the car owner steals a car and then threatens the owner to not report it to the police or rental company), then they can refuse to honor the insurance. If you reported it to the police immediately at least, then you have grounds to sue the rental company for breach of contract for not paying the damages. If not, you are liable for the damages for not reporting immediately.