KJL LAW
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
92128996

Are level one sex offenders required under law to register

Customer Question

Are level one sex offenders required under law to register even though in his case he served probation more than 20 years ago before reporting was required and what should he do now that he received a letter he was in violation of this for not reporting all these years.he has never been in any legal trouble since then and is concerned this could jeopardize his present job
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 9 months ago.

Good afternoon. Under NY A level 1 sex offender who was on parole or probation or incarcerated for an offense on January 21,1996, must register as a sex offender with the NYS Division of Criminal Justice. Any person convicted after that date, including probation, jail, or state prison, must register upon release to the community. Additionally, if an offender moved from another jurisdiction, they must register no later than 10 days after moving to NYS.

I hope this helps with your question.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am confused if this happened 25 years ago and he served five years probation why is New York State saying he needs to register his address and where he relocated to where he moved to wouldn't the timeline disqualify him from having to do that according to the statement you sent me
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 9 months ago.

If he was still on parole or probation as of January 21,1996, then under the law he would still have to register. Check the ending dates of any parole and/or probation.