Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I have a judgement from 2007 or 2008, original amount was

Customer Question

I have a judgement from 2007 or 2008, original amount was $5600. I recently contacted the agency the judgement was ordered by and was told now I owed close to $10,000. They couldn't give me a direct answer as to why it had gone up exactly. Then, the guy on the phone said he was looking at the judgement did not have the post interest box checked off so he dropped the amount I owe to $7800. Does this sound right?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If no post judgment was entered as part of the order, they cannot claim the regular interest on the debt, but CA law (CA Civil Code 685.010 to 685.110) provides that from the date of judgment there is judicial interest on judgment accrues at a rate of 10% per year. So while they may not be able to charge the interest rate under contract, by CA law, once a judgment is entered the 10% per year interest accrues automatically.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the original amount of $10,000 sounds accurate?
If they have been adding in the 10% judicial interest, it could indeed be correct, as the interest is added onto the unpaid judgment balance each year.