Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I am a 54 year old man whose reputation is being threatened

Customer Question

I am a 54 year old man whose reputation is being threatened by another man. He is upset over my relationship with his wife. The relationship is consensual. He has stalked me (with his children) in the past, followed us to our group meetings, tracks her movement without her permission, and monitors her texts without also her permission. He is threatening to release letters defaming my character to my employers. I need to know what to do to head this off at the pass and motivate him not to do this. I will appreciate any help you can give.
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

You can file harassment charges and seek a restraining order against this person to prevent him or his children from following you around, contacting you, etc.

Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.

As for the defamatory information he's threatening, there's not an awful lot you can do pre-emptively other than to tell him that he will be defaming your character and that you'll sue for the libel (written) or slander (spoken) if he knowingly makes false statements about you that are passed off as true.

Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.

If he doesn't heed your warnings, then you could sue and seek an injunction to stop the dissemination of this material; you could also seek money damages for the impact this has had on your reputation.