Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

If I am getting blackmailed by someone over seas, is there

Customer Question

If I am getting blackmailed by someone over seas, is there anything that can be done about it without it hurting me?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

This is a known scam. They will NOT REPORT THIS AND WILL NOT RELEASE THE INFORMATION. These are cowardly scam artists. Stop paying them first of all. We see this scam regularly and what happens is they continue to make threats but do nothing about it. Second, you can report them to law enforcement in the country they are located in, but because they use fake names and accounts, law enforcement may not be able to locate them. Either way, stop paying them and block them and report their account to skype and close them down.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but the thing is they already have the video on you tube and just have it so only people with the link can see it. what do I do in that situation? I already contacted Skype and did that part. They told me if I blocked them, they would share with the rest of my family and friends
thank you for your reply.
You need to contact youtube and inform them the video is part of extortion and you have never given permission for it to be uploaded and they will remove it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what if they try to post it again?
Thank you for your reply.
That is why I said you have to file a complaint with law enforcement in their country. That is the only other thing you can do other than getting youtube to remove it again if they try to post it again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thank you for the help. Is there anyway that I can keep this person from contacting. they keep making accounts on facebook and contacting me through it
Thank you for your reply.
One thing you can do is create a new FB account with a different name (such as maybe your first name and a fake last name or use your middle name). Other than that you can set your security on FB so only your friends can seen and contact you and nobody else.