Marsha411JD, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 29 yrs exp in the practice of law.
19127644

I work at a private school in NYC. I am going on my third

Customer Question

I work at a private school in NYC. I am going on my third year as School coordinator for Lower School. My boss is super nice but leaving in June. I was in the middle of a divorce when I got this job. I have two kids, 14 and 16. I am having a really hard time handling everything on my own. I didn't work in 16 years. I am very involved in kids life. Now that Im working I feel like I never get a minute to me. Their dad does nothing. Anyway, My son went on medication November 30th for OCD and now has developed bad anxiety. Over the two years I have been working I have been sick a lot and needed a lot of time off. My son also has a progressive hearing loss. My boss told me today that I should speak to HR about the family leave act to cover myself. he said they care about me but see that I have been missing a lot of work. I spoke to my therapist who said to speak to a lawyer about it. Do you know anything about the family leave act. I read about it but I'm scared that I won't have my job when I get back. I want to find pros and cons but Im super overwhelmed right now and everyone sees it. I have been crying a lot and I don't look great.
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for the information and your question and I am sorry to read about your situation. First, I want to put your mind at ease about losing your job if you use FMLA. The function of the law is to actually provide job protection for employees who must take time off for their own, or their immediate family's serious health condition. In particular, assuming the employee qualifies, they can take up to 12 weeks in a 12 month period of FMLA, either as straight time or on an intermittent basis. There are some specific rules that are too lengthy to discuss here but you can see a good discussion at the following link: http://www.dol.gov/whd/fmla/

(if you go down to "general information" you can click on the Frequently Asked Question link and find more information, as you can at any of the links on that page.

Please feel free to ask specific follow up questions if you have them after reading the FAQ information. If none, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you.

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 3rd. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.