LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

I JUST CHECKED INTO A HOTEL IN AMARILLO,TX. AND WAS GIVEN A

Customer Question

I JUST CHECKED INTO A HOTEL IN AMARILLO,TX. AND WAS GIVEN A ROOM.AFTER I HAVE BEEN IN THE ROOM THEY SAY I WAS GIVEN THIS ROOM BY MISTAKE AND I WANT TO KEEP THE ROOM IT'S GOING COST ME MORE MONEY OR THEY WILL ASK ME TO LEAVE.THEY OFERED ME ANOTHER ROOM LESS THAN THE ONE I HAVE,WHAT SHOULD I DO?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 10 months ago.

Good morning. How was this a mistake? Did you book/reserve a standard room and they provided you a suite by mistake? Also, do they have the room which you originally booked?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no i was a walk in
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
what can i do about this

It appears there is a payment issue. Once this is corrected, I can respond

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
can i get a answer

Certainly. I thought you wanted a phone call, so I was waiting to respond. Did they tell you what the mistake was and why you need to move?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
they said i was given a $200 room by mistake and that if i want to keep the room i have to pay the $200

The hotel has an obligation to give you the room you paid for. It is at their discretion to upgrade you or give you one which costs more but at the same price, if they wanted to. If they advised that they made a mistake and are asking you to change rooms and they will give you the one you paid for, there is nothing wrong with that. Yes, it was their mistake and would be a good business practice to just allow you to remain but just because they made the mistake and are correcting it, does not mean you can just stay and they have to take the loss. They are allowing you to remain if you want to pay but are not forcing you to do so and it is not a situation where they are giving you a lesser quality room then what you paid for and refusing to credit you the difference. If you refuse to move and can not resolve this, they may call the police and ask that you be removed from the hotel.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.