LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

I live in an off campus apartment complex at Grand Valley

Customer Question

I live in an off campus apartment complex at Grand Valley State University. I recently had Charter come take a look at our wi-fi modem to figure why it is so damn slow. The Charter guy came and looked at our modem, and then explained that because of the contract with our apartment complex our modem only get's 15.0 Mbps, which he explained is slow enough that if one person is watching a youtube video it can take a significant amount of that bandwidth and slow down anyone else who is trying to access the wi-fi. I have 3 roommates who all have a full schedule of classes and we are frequently using the wi-fi to do our homework, watch videos, use our phones on, etc. but we know that once more than 2 people are connected we are all pretty much shit out of luck if we try to do anything that requires an internet connection. Often times instead of staying in the comforts of my own home, I am forced to drive to campus and go to the library. While this may sound trivial it isn't very nice not knowing if you can count on your own wi-fi. This is a college apartment complex and they don't even give us wi-fi that more than 2 at a time can use. I believe this is absolutely ridiculous that they do this to us. Is there any way the ridiculousness of this could be challenged in a court?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. What exactly do you want to challenge? Do you want to force the complex to increase the MBPS in someway? I understand the arguments you are making just trying to get a better idea of the relief sought.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think an increase in the MBPS would be what we're looking for. This is a problem for many students in the complex.

Thank you for the reply. Unless the complex advertised and guaranteed in the lease agreement, that the internet speed would be at X or perform as Y, they would have no legal obligation to do this nor could you force them to. It is important to remember that it is at your discretion as to where you should live and if that complex can not proceed internet access which meets your needs, then you do need to move when the lease is up and find a new place, that does. I completely agree with you, that a complex would know and think that their student residents need a good wifi network. However, they are in the business of providing housing and offering wifi, cable , etc are secondary. You shared that this is an off campus apartment, so it is at their discretion on what they want to invest, in something like this. Once word gets out that the internet is slow and they have students living there who rely on it, they may lose business and occupancy, until they decide to fix it and invest in doing so. Unless there is a legal basis to force/require them to increase the MBPS, which would be if it was in the lease, then a lawsuit would not be successful. I know it is not ideal but I have an obligation to be upfront and honest with you.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.