Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

What is process, in PA, to get a vehicle returned from

Customer Question

What is process, in PA, to get a vehicle returned from repossession when vehicle is only source of transportation for them as well as for parent? How do you get personal possessions out of vehicle, mainly the car seats for the 3 and 7 year old kids.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

How to get the vehicle back will depend on your loan. Often, the contract says that the bank can require FULL payment of the entire remaining balance on the loan before you can get the car back. Sometimes, it's only necessary to pay the outstanding balance on the loan, plus repossession costs. You should get a letter in the mail telling you how much to pay in order to get the car back and how much time you have. The law unfortunately does not require the bank to make any concessions based on a person's personal situation. They only have to give it back if you are able to pay for it.

The letter should also mention how much time you have to pick up your personal items out of the car. You can also call the tow yard to see what hours they are open. They're required by law to allow owners reasonable access to towed vehicles, and that includes letting you in to pick up your belongings. See

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.