N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Experience:  since 1983
9653905

This is vikalp its about jury duty summon. I am on h1b i

Customer Question

hi This is vikalp its about jury duty summon. I am on h1b i failed to reply back to notice that i am not eligible
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i got notice to appear for jury duty, but as i am not citizen i am not eligible for it. But i did not respond back to summon that i am not qualified. so what do i do now. the summon date has passed
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your question.

Which State are you in?

Does the summons form have a questionnaire asking if you are a citizen?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Santa Clara county, California.
Yes it has a questionnaire for not qualified with one option as not a citizen. My summon was in the week of 1/26/16 and I didn't reply.
But I did submitt that questionnaire today, through online. Is that ok if I responded after my summon due date? Or I need to do something more.

No you do not have to do anything more. I was going to suggest that you return it late and answer No to the question asking if you are a citizen, but you already did that.

You will not be punished for returning the form late.

I hope this information is helpful.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
As we discussed above I did submit No to the questionnaire via online form. But I still got a mail that I have missed my summon and have 14days to get it re scheduled. Do need to re submit the questionnaire via mail?
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 9 months ago.

It cannot hurt to resubmit the form by mail. Once they realize that you are not a citizen, they should stop sending you those forms.

You could phone the Clerk of the Court or the Jury Commissioner that issued the summons and make it clear that as a non-citizen you are not allowed to sit on a jury.