Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

I get SSI and own my home plus another next door to it. If I

Customer Question

I get SSI and own my home plus another next door to it. If I rent they will take that much from my check. If I sell,my check will stop until spend down is completed.My mother lived in house under hardship program and paid taxes and insurance was all. No moey was ever passed over to me. My Mother passed in November and it is noway I can hardly keep my house going with Insurance and taxes. Can I put someone else I the house uder same circumstances ,because with no one living there insurance will double.I would be willing to let someone live free just so insurance wont double. Please find me an answer, I am bi-polar and have a personal safety provider and it has always been someone in the other house so I was left both houses and they are family homes and with someone there and they didn't see me out they would call and check up to see if I was ok. Thanks, Michael
Expert:  Ray replied 10 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you tonight.

You can allow someone to live there rent free.You can certainly do so.SSI would not be affected if there is no rent changing hands here.This may be your best option to keep house from being vacant and to avoid more problems with SSI here. I would see if you can locate someone you trust to live there and take care of the place.They may be a companion for you and able to help you with daily living.Overall, this is the best way yo deal with this since a sale would penalize you as would rent here as well.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.I am so sorry for the loss of your mother.Thanks again.

Expert:  Ray replied 10 months ago.

If you can leave a positive rating when we are through it is always much appreciated.