Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I filed a complaint in federal court and I have a diversity

Customer Question

I filed a complaint in federal court and I have a diversity problem so I need to drop one of the defendants so I don't destroy diversity...this defendant filed a 12(b)(6) for lack of subject matter. how can I dismiss one defendant but not the rest??
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Are you asking me for facts of the case?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

You would just have to file an agreed order with this defendant based on the pending 12(b)(6) motion to dismiss....and that would remove only this defendant from the case.

Here's a good link you can read about diversity of citizenship issues: http://federalpracticemanual.org/book/export/html/6

Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.

If you don't remove the party, diversity would be destroyed --- and if there is no other basis for federal jurisdiction --- the case will be dismissed.

Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.

Please let me know if you need anything further. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks!