LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

Am I entitled to 1/2 the equity in the home we are

Customer Question

Am I entitled to 1/2 the equity in the home we are purchasing and he will be keeping the house located in the state of Indiana?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon. Can you please share with me a little more about the situation

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My husband and I are filing for divorce. He is keeping the house we purchased, I want to know if I am entitled to 1/2 the equity we have paid on the house.

If the home was bought during the course of the marriage, it would be considered a martial asset. As such, you would have a right to equity in it. While he can keep it and you can agree to it, he should then buy you out, since you are giving up your right to it. If he does not want to, you do not have to agree to allow him to keep it and can let the Judge decide.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!