CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

Continuing the same question as before. It is in the

Customer Question

continuing the same question as before. It is in the original contract as an add on but it is spelled out in an addendum to the contract. If I am already libel why is the addendum needed? and why would I need to sign it?
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Without looking at the documents (which would require a local attorney - or at a minimum your own independent realtor, realtors, while not attorneys - so they cannot provide you with a formal legal opinion, are excellent resources for helping with these contracts as they review them regularly and charge less than an attorney), I would speculate that the addendum is being added because the clause in the original document is rather vague and by creating an addendum it adds specifics which will work to protect both parties by giving parameters to what exactly is required by the "removal" clause.

To illustrate, if you had a "weed abatement" clause in the sales contract (and we are assuming for purposes of this example that weed abatement is very important to the sale), but the original sales agreement simply says: "seller is liable for removal of all weeds" - as we know weeds can regrow, is the seller responsible for removal of weeds only in the yard area, or in the gaps between the concrete and brick areas, what about on the sidewalk in front of the house?

A subsequent addendum that elaborates on what exactly is expected can help clear up this general agreement and both parties can have a clear understanding of what is needed.