Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

My name is ***** ***** and it's about attending a university

Customer Question

Hello, My name is ***** ***** and it's about attending a university full-time.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: currently, I'm overseas for the military and once I come back I plan to go to school full-time and was looking on if I would be able to file for unemployment in Texas
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you .

You can only file for UI here if you are able and ready for full time work.You would not want to mention school at all.The UI folks don't need to know about that so don't mention it.You should be able to get GI Bill benefits to go to school,that would be your best bet.

Definitely apply for UI benefits and don't mention school when you do so.Just tell them you are available for work so they will not deny you on this basis.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again and good luck with school.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

If you can leave a positive rating when we are through it is always much appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How about when it comes to taxes??
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

If you are claiming Texas as your home state you pay federal income taxes on the UI benefits.They are considered income here.

Thanks again and thanks for your service.