Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I am 65 years old, retired and living on $1000 social

Customer Question

I am 65 years old, retired and living on $1000 social security and $400 union pension. My house is paid for and worth about $80,000. I have $50,000 in my bank accounts. I defaulted on a $15,000 debt. The judgement is against me. Can my creditors garnish my income? Can they get their hands on my money in the bank? Can they do anything to my house?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
No, retirement income is exempt from garnishment. They can put a lien on your house though, which means before you or anyone receives any profit from sale of your house (you can only protect up to $21,500 in value of your home under the homestead exemption in GA), they would be entitled to payment. They can also seize your bank accounts to satisfy the judgment with the exception of any income in those accounts that you can prove are directly from SS or retirement income. The SS and retirement income is the only thing exempt from seizure or attachment to pay the debt.