Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I WAS MARRIED YEARS AND MY HUSBAND PASSED AWAY TWO YEARS

Customer Question

i WAS MARRIED FOR 20 YEARS AND MY HUSBAND PASSED AWAY TWO YEARS AGO. . iI DID NOT APPLY FOR SPOUSAL BENEFITS, HOWEVER I AM GETTING BENEFITS FROM AN EX-HUSBAND WHO PASSED WAY LAST APRIL. WE WERE MARRIED FOR 22 YEARS AND DIVORCED IN 1983. CAN I AT THIS TIME APPLY FOR DEATH SPOUSAL BENEFITS FROM MY MOST RECENT HUSBAND. I AM NOT MARRIED. I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO GET THRU TO SOCIAL SECURITY DIRECTLY. THANK YOU. ARLENE LAPIERRE
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

Yes, you can have SS reevaluate your benefits. They will look at the salaries of both spouses and then decide who has the higher amount for you to claim. As you are aware, the will look back 5 years worth of salaries to make that determination. I suggest you contact the SS and schedule and appointment in your area with a local SS office. 1-***-***-****