LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

I just need some advice my car was involved in a t and run

Customer Question

Hello I just need some advice my car was involved in a hit and run Sunday January 23rd Last month and the person left the scene however once we caught up with the owner we found out he had progressive insurance but progressive stated that the client said the car was stolen it took 7-10 business days to get the accident report but when I asked the police department and local city hall people who handle all reports..etc they said no car was reported stolen on that day the accident happen at 3:15 in the morning and the progressive insurance agent said we needed witnesses etc how and it was pitch dark and the ran from the scene but the insurers address is just 2 mins from where the initial crash was my car was parked legally and not in harms way but this person totally told my car it is not drivable are fixable and I work and go to school and have a 3month old who's car seat tore in half from the impact we were not in the car thank god but I just can't see this being justice and in my hearts of hearts I don't see the car being stolen what should I do?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon. If the car was stolen, a police report would need to have been made, since this would have been reported. I do not know of anyone who has their car stolen and then does not report it. As such, the story sounds VERY odd. If it was stolen, then how did the owner get the car back? You shared that they live two minutes away, so you can drive by and see if the car is still there. If his insurance company refuses to pay, then you need to sue him. Once he is sued, he is likely going to turn this over to his insurance company and that is when the pressure will be put on him, to evidence that the car was stolen and he was not the driver. Of course, if you report this to your insurance company, you will pay the deductible and then can try and recover from him, if you did not want to wait to get this fixed by Progressive.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!