Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

I just turned 60 and i am on ssdi i am a widow and was told

Customer Question

i just turned 60 and i am on ssdi i am a widow and was told i retire at 60 can i swich from ssdi to ssi
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

You're eligible to convert your SSDI benefits to Social Security Retirement at age 62. If you do nothing, when you reach your full retirement age, the benefits will automatically be converted. You don't need to do anything unless you want to request benefits on your deceased husband's record. You can do that if 1/2 of his benefit is more than what you would get on your own earnings record. Widow's benefits can start at age 60, so that might be what whoever you talked to meant.

Here is more information on Survivor's Benefits. If you'd like to apply, call Social Security.

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/survivors/survivorchartred.html

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.