ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

I PURCHASED TWO TICKETS AROUND THE MIDDLE OF dECEMBER

Customer Question

I PURCHASED TWO TICKETS AROUND THE MIDDLE OF dECEMBER 2015.tHEY WERE FOR A CONCERT SCHEDULED FOR at theaPRIL 28 at the Mayo performing Arts Center*****Morristown N.J..On line there was an outfit called allaccess tickets. At the time I had no idea as to what the tickets should cost. They told me The tickets were 254dollars each plus some kind of insurance cost on the tickets which turned out to be 63.50 per ticket.The total was 635.00 . I called the box office the next day and found out that the tickets were 79.50 each with no insurance necessary. I called allaccess tickets and they told there was no refunds. This can,t be right. There must be some laW OR RULE THAT these people have to abide by. their should not be free reighn like this. Mr. Castronovo
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. This site that you used is a ticket scalper. Many tickets are sold for more than the face value of the ticket. The box office will tell you what the face value of the ticket would be, but they might be sold out of those tickets. They might not be. In fact, you might find a better ticket that is cheaper. But just because someone is selling something for one price doesn't automatically make any resellers selling it for more illegal (unfortunately).

There is no federal law against scalping, but, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL), 15 states ban the practice in some way, most labeling it as a misdemeanor with penalties including fines and/or up to a year in jail. States that restrict scalping include: Arizona, Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, New Mexico, Ohio, Rhode Island, and Wisconsin. Note that New Jersey is not on that list.

And so this practice is legal, I'm sorry to say. It's possible that they acted in a deceptive manner, and if so, you can file a complaint with the New Jersey Attorney General's Office (http://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/Pages/File-a-Complaint.aspx). In fact, the best option is to let this seller know that you're going to complain to the Attorney General if they don't give you a refund. They have no legal obligation to give you one, but they might just do so to avoid the hassle.

Again, it's not unusual that the box office told you that this is the price. But many times when there is such a markup on third party sites, that's when the original tickets are sold out. The face value of the ticket is not the maximum price you'll find it for. Many times it's actually the minimum price (look for Super Bowl tickets now... you won't find any tickets for less than the face value of the ticket, and most, if not all, the time it will be more). There's no law that says that this is illegal.

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!