Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I was defamed repeatedly both in writing and verbally in

Customer Question

I was defamed repeatedly both in writing and verbally in front of other colleagues ,along with a smear campaign and in a professional meeting in a hospital which I have been practicing for many years . I strongly suspect this is arising from a proper action which was taken by an official medical staff committee which I chair. Do we have a case for a civil act and punitive compensation?thanks for your time.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

You can sue them for defamation. Actually, you would start with a cease and desist letter to anyone making these false accusations.

If this does not get a retraction, you will need to file suit for defamation. This cause of action is specifically for damage caused to one's reputation. To establish a prima facie case of defamation, four elements are generally required:

1. a false statement purporting to be fact concerning another person or entity;

2. publication or communication of that statement to a third person;

3. fault on the part of the person making the statement amounting to intent or at least negligence; and,

4. some harm (generally, economic) caused to the person or entity who is the subject of the statement.

This involves complex litigation and it is strongly advised that you retain local counsel to assist you in protecting your rights before taking any action in this matter.

If you need assistance in finding an attorney, contact your state or local bar association. You can also try Martindale Hubble. Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

It is a huge worldwide database of attorneys searchable by location and specialty.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If you have suffered some sort of economic loss and the statements are factually false, as opposed to opinion, it sounds as if you would meet the prima facie case.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Are you online with me?