Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Not really a legal question but I am tired of getting ripped

Customer Question

Not really a legal question but I am tired of getting ripped off by health insurance companies. I haven't seen a doctor in years but under the ACA I am forced to buy health insurance. I could get health insurance through my spouses policy but it is very expensive and has such a high deductible that I would never be able to afford to even see a doctor if I wanted to and is a waste of money. Buying a policy on the healthcare marketplace is even more expensive.with our combined incomes.I would like to get an insurance plan of my own based on my income. Short of divorcing my spouse how do I go about doing this.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You can get a private plan through a private insurer, but it must comply with the ACA guidelines and you need to do it before the ACA deadline during the open enrollment period, since the private insurers also use the open enrollment period in the ACA, meaning before Monday.
Unfortunately, I am sorry to say that "short of divorce" your combined marital income is used and I am afraid the ACA does not give you any way around that. So what you are asking does not really exist, you have to get insurance from the marketplace or a private insurer before the deadline or face the tax penalty. If you do not want to spend a lot, get the lowest plan available if you do not really need coverage right now.