Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I have been the defendant in a civil suite 2 years. Judge

Customer Question

I have been the defendant in a civil suite for almost 2 years. Judge sets status conferences and then cancels and reschedules the day before. In July 2015, Judge sent notice to both parties for bench trial. I received my letter. The attorney for the person suing me in civil court has changed law firms and his notice was returned. I have to be ready for appear for trial in May 2016. I have to travel back to the court where the complaint was filed. I am working and am afraid if I travel all that way the Judge will reschedule the day before I get there. What is the best strategy for going forward?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, courts set their own schedules as you see. All you can do for this is contacting the judge's clerk (not clerk of court) and inform them that you are traveling from long distance and it costs you a large amount of money to travel to court only to have it continued the day before you have to appear. If the judge has an efficient and friendly clerk most times they will give you 4-5 days notice on a continuance in that case, but that is all you can really do as there is no legal rule or rule of procedure covering this.