LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

If I am separated (not legally) from my husband years am I

Customer Question

If I am separated (not legally) from my husband for 15 years am I still responsible for his debts if he becomes ill or injures another?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon Colleen,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your concerns. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. You have good reason to be concerned though. Let me explain.

You asked: If I am separated (not legally) from my husband for 15 years am I still responsible for his debts if he becomes ill or injures another? Under NC law, so long as you remain married, you and your assets remain liable for lawsuit judgments against your husband for injuries he causes to others as well as for his well-being, including medical expenses were he to become ill. This is because all of your assets that you acquire during your marriage are deemed marital property and subject to claims by others against you and/or your spouse.

This is especially true for medical and hospital bills as the law requires that one spouse financially provide for the other if they are unable to pay for the necessities of life---and this included medical expenses.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug