Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

It is illegal to take my phone without permission and

Customer Question

It is illegal for someone to take my phone without permission and screenshot mt text not to that person and send them to a person
State is louisiana
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

No, it isn't. Louisiana law defines "computer" broadly enough to include most smart phones. Louisiana Rev. Stat., Section 14:73.1. Accessing data within a computer or copying it without the consent of the owner is Computer Tampering, which is a misdemeanor. Section 14.78. If they also deleted files off your phone, that would make it a felony. If you gave someone your password ***** gave them the phone, they'd be considered to have your consent to do that. But a person can't just take your phone and email or text themselves information on it.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.