legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
63726236

MY FRIEND HAS TOLD ME OF A SITUATION WHERE HER BELOVED DOG

Customer Question

MY FRIEND HAS TOLD ME OF A SITUATION WHERE HER BELOVED DOG OF 7 YEARS, HAD TO HAVE SURGERY.THE 1ST. VET TORE HER TRECKEA . SHE TOOK HER DOG TO ANOTHER VET TO FIX THE PROBLEM OF THE 1ST VET ,BUT THE SECOND VET SAID IT WOULD COST HER 8,000.00 TO REPAIR SO SHE ASK IF THEY WOULD TAKE PAYMENTS AS SHE DIN'T HAVE 8,000.00 HE TOLD HER NO,BUT IF SHE SIGNS OVER HER DOG THEY CAN TAKE CARE OF THE PROBLEM.I FEEL SHE WAS TAKEN BY BOTH VETS.NOT ONLY THAT THE POOR DOG WENT THROUGH 2 SURGERYS AND WOKE UP TO STRANGERS.BOTH DOG AND POWNER ARE DEVISTATED.WHAT CAN SHE DO.I TOLD HER TO FIGHT BACK.WHAT DO YOU SUJEST?
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

I am so sorry to haer of this;

If the first vet was negligent in the medical procedure, then that vet can be sued for malpractice. Generally, for negligence lawsuits, the damages typically awarded are the costs to repair/correct any damages caused by the negligence (ie the second surgery).

If the court finds that the doctor acted recklessly, they can also award punitive damages- these are designed to prevent such behavior in the future.

Some courts will allow pain and suffering for pets; California courts have allowed this in the past - for example please see the attached for a case where the plaintiff was awarded $39,000 due to veterinary malpractice.

--------------------------------------
Here is a link to locate an attorney:
http://apps.americanbar.org/legalservices/findlegalhelp/home.cfm

Should you have further questions please post here to continue our dialogue. Otherwise,

kindly rate positively

as I am an individual contributor and rely on positive ratings to receive compensation for providing the requested information - this does not result in additional charges to the customer, but rather allows the site to credit my account a percentage to compensate me for my time.

THANK YOU!

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

Also, in order to prevent this from happening to other pets, a complaint can be lodged here:

http://www.vmb.ca.gov/

--------------------------------------
Here is a link to locate an attorney:

kindly rate positively

THANK YOU!