Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Curious about Texas Hold em laws in GA
, Sure, I want

Customer Question

Curious about Texas Hold em laws in GA
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sure, I want to open a fun local commercial spot, just to play the game of poker You pay to enter the location, that's it, chips are free In georgia
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I understand gambling is illegal in the state of GA. BUT this is strictly about Texas holdem AND the fact I would like to have a commercial location to play Texas Hold em just for the love of the game. No gambling involved. We could figure out other ways to generate revenue, through a walk in fee, ect... but chips have no value, they are just objects. So the main question is, is the game of texas hold em, strictly the game itself, involving no exchange of value of anything.... legal or illegal?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The GA law is pretty bad when it comes to gambling, it specifically mentions "cards" meaning that Texas hold em is illegal gambling. The law, says in OCGA 16-12-2:
"(a) A person commits the offense of gambling when he: (1) Makes a bet upon the partial or final result of any game or contest or upon the performance of any participant in such game or contest; (3) Plays and bets for money or other thing of value at any game played with cards, dice, or balls."
If there is no betting and you simply charge a cover charge to enter and they cannot win money or anything of value for their cover charge, then you can conduct such an event. However, if the participants can win anything of value in exchange for them paying the cover charge, GA is likely to consider it gambling and illegal.