John, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.
71296933

After how many years can the amount of a pension be

Customer Question

after how many years can the amount of a pension be contested?
Expert:  John replied 10 months ago.

Pensions are controlled by a law named the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA). ERISA does not have a limitations period for benefits claims. However, federal courts have long held that the limitations period for these claims should adopt the state contractual statute of limitations. In your case that limitations period is 4 years, which time begins from the date you knew or should have known there was a dispute...in the case of pension payout that would be the date you were told of the pension payment amount.

Expert:  John replied 10 months ago.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as itis the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.