Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

Last year I took out a credit card under mine and my

Customer Question

Last year I took out a credit card under mine and my mother's name. I gave her a card in case of an emergency but I will the primary user not account holder. Our limit rose from 300 to $3,000. Over time I ended up going over the limit resulting in a balance of about $10,000. The account was closed and I no longer have access to it a few weeks ago I received the message that the account was being investigated for fraud. I received the letter today stating that it was the end of that the account was fraudulent. I guess my question is what do I do now especially if I have no intention to pay and I have the financial means to do so. I had a conversation with my mother and she understands the situation and just wants me to make sure I paid the amount back. Will I be charged with a crime even if she agrees that the account was authorized.
In further conversation with my mom she stated that she had received a call from Capital One in regards ***** ***** account and stated that it wasn't hers.
However after the conversation we had she realized that it was the account that we discussed
What should we do at this point?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. How it it you were able to take out a card in your mother's name with you as a secondary user of the account?

2. Did you meant to write that your mother opened the account and arranged for you to have a card?

3. Are you saying that you signed up for the account using your mom's name but you filed the application?

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a nominal charge I can offer you a phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread. Let me know if you don't want a call and I will be happy continue here with an answer for you.

Doug